Tim and Chelsea have an amazing Mexican meal. They sent me the recipe, but they do it so well, I didn’t want to just copy them exactly. So instead I took pieces of their meal and changed it up a bit. The end result is something that makes my mouth water just typing this out. It’s a lot of work, but I think you’ll find that it’s worth it. And if you’re really pressed for time, there are plenty of places where you could take shortcuts.
You could make your own but I cheat and make this from a box/packet. Alternatively you could make some sticky rice with cilantro and lime juice.
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 pieces of cooked bacon
- Combine refried beans and drained pinto beans. Add two pieces cooked bacon and allow to simmer over low heat.
Pico de Gallo
- 1 tbsp diced, seeded jalapeno
- 1 tbsp diced onion
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced, seeded tomato
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Salt & pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp diced, seeded jalapeno
- 2 tbsp diced onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced, seeded tomato
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt & pepper
- Put it all in a bowl and mix it up. I use a fork to smash the avocado.
- 1/2 cup cumin seeds
- 5 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 2 bunches cilantro (leaves and stems)
- Toast the cumin seeds in a medium saute pan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- In a blender, combine the cumin seeds, jalapenos, garlic, pepper, lime juice, and salt. Pulse the blender to finely chop ingredients. Add the oil and cilantro and puree until smooth.
Grilled Steak Burritos
- 4 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1 pound top sirloin
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Make the marinade. Lightly score both sides of the meat with a knife so that the marinade will penetrate. Place the meat in a large plastic bag or bowl, pour in the marinade, and coat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.
- Grill the steak.
- When it’s done, pull it off the grill and cut it into thin slices. You may want to cut the steak perpendicular to the slices too so they are smaller and easier to eat.
- Have each person prepare their burrito (no guac yet though!). Place the rolled burritos back on the grill. Grill until golden brown on both sides.
- Top with guacamole and sour cream. Serve with rice and beans on the side or inside the burrito.